Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Finally got out to my vegetable garden yesterday to get the rest of the veggies in. I didn’t keep records of what I planted in there like I did in the greenhouse, so I wasn’t sure what I was digging up, other than that they were some kind of root crop, and they were HUGE!! After I got into the house, I googled different root crops, and figured out they are rutabagas, then remembered talking to my sister about using them in soups and stews, and that’s why I tried growing some this year.

IMG_0453copy-2013-10-29-18-14.jpg

The garden is pretty much wrapped up now, although I still have some hoses to pick up and get into the greenhouse.

I’m just about ready for winter and my recliner by the wood stove. Things need to slow down a bit, my nephew has been in the hospital for the past two weeks with necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria). He’s slowly, slowly getting better.

I have to admit I’m a needle phobic. I hate shots!!!! I still remember in grade school standing in line waiting to get the shot in the arm and the polio sugar cube, just the sheer terror of it. Friday, don’t ask me how I did it, because I don’t know, I punctured my ankle. Christian suggested I get a tetanus shot, but phobic person that I am, I waited until the next morning to go to the doctor, and then only because it was aching. Oh, and my sister told me to! Have to listen to her! So they x-rayed it, gave me the shot (it wasn’t as bad as I had dreaded), and put me on antibiotics. For good measure, I had Christian dig up some comfry root to put on it. It was much better by the next morning. The two plants that I just would not want to be missing is aloe and comfrey.

I finally got some more beads listed. This is one I really like,

IMG_0389-2013-10-29-18-14.JPG

A funny Internet pic to end with,

209017_3274649119070_1065454578_n-2013-10-29-18-14.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment