Wednesday, April 09, 2014

It’s been a week since we lost our heifer calf, Heidi. My neighbor called at midnight to tell us the cows were out, we got them herded back to the barn (the corner post and brace had snapped off of the pasture fence), but were missing Heidi. We spent an hour tramping through the woods and walking the road looking for tracks, but couldn’t find anything. I called the sheriff’s office twice, but they had no report of a found cow, put an ad on Craigslist, but nothing. Mystifying and really disappointing. Heidi would have been ready for breeding this year, and I was really looking forward to see how she would work out, since she’s the first heifer calf we’ve gotten from our Dexter bull. Now it’ll be two years before that happens, when Ingrid will be old enough.

I went on a hike through the north pasture this morning, hoping to find something. I forgot to close the pantry door, and Suka opened the back door and got out and killed a chicken. Fortunately I had the walkie-talkie with me and was able to radio Christian to come out and get him before he did in more than one. The chicken didn’t go to waste, this is what came down a couple of hours later to take care of it,

IMG_4530-2014-04-9-17-55.jpg

I would so love to have a good telephoto lens for my camera. We’ve had quite a few bald eagles around this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment